Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Why does tranny fluid leak from motorcycle oil cooler?

1980 Harley XLS sportster oil cooler is spraying tranny fluid out of it what seal//or seals are blown? Do I need to replace the oil cooler and the seal in any particular manner or order if so what would it be? This an overhaul of a bike that's sat for 2-3 yrs. and hasn't had engine work. The electrical is good, brakes are sound. I cleaned the carb and reset it, replaced the push/pull throttle its perfect, started her up and noticed compression loss then backfire. I went around turned her off and thats when I noticed the fluid leaking from the cooler. I saw smoke near regulator but it still looks good. I replaced the generator brushes, starter is clean, all breakers replaced, wiring new and in place. I can't find the oil line. I guess I will lift the bike and follow them thru. I may need diagrams. Well thats it please help meeeeee!Why does tranny fluid leak from motorcycle oil cooler?
Never heard of a Harley Davidson with a trans oil cooler. Are you SURE its a trans oil cooler or, is it just an ';aftermarket'; engine oil cooler ? Either way, you don't need it unless it really runs hot ( over 230 degrees ). I use AMSOIL 20W50 synthetic motor oil in my 2003 Heritage Softail .... Engine, Primary and Trans. and lowered my operating temperature 10 - 15 degrees.





http://www.firstandfinestsynthetics.com/





If you REALLY want to leave it on there though, Check the fittings where the lines connect to the cooler. The oil MAY be leaking from a loose fitting and running down the line to the lowest point where its dripping at. If the fittings arent loose, remove them and check for o-rings or gaskets which may be damaged or missing.Why does tranny fluid leak from motorcycle oil cooler?
Sounds like a couple of leaks. What does it mean to reset a carburetor? Why do you have a compression loss? Sounds like transmission/primary fluid is leaking into your engine and you're seeing the different fluid. You had the original motor since 1980? Time to send it out for a complete rebuild.
if it was me I'd check the hoses, they may be dry rotted and cracked. If I remember right the oil cooler will just have hose clamps and with old hoses sometimes they just get hard and the clamp wont squeeze tight enough to seal. I don't think you'll find diagrams for oil cooler hoses. Unless you live in the southwest you probly don't need the oil cooler, if that's all that's keeping you off the road I'd just take it off. good luck
A rock may have dinged it.
Check the cylinder head breather outlets are not blocked There should be a couple of tubes running into air filter. The camshaft breather valve may be broken and not opening.


you dont have generator brushes, there is a big magnetic rotor bolted to the end of crankshaft. dont do much with sporty's, know a bit more about the big twins
  • soap opera
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment