Tuesday, December 22, 2009

How often should you change the oil on a motorcycle?

I just bought my first bike so i need some tips, it's a 2004 suzuki gsxr 600.How often should you change the oil on a motorcycle?
Following the manufacturer's recommendations, or sooner if you like. Everyone will tell you what they think is best for your bike in their own opinion. The manufacturer will tell you what is needed to keep it on the road. You may do more often, but never less.How often should you change the oil on a motorcycle?
Follow the link or follow the manufactures recommendations
I have always changed oil in my bikes every 5000 miles. My motors have always racked up plenty of trouble free miles. All the hype about 3000 mile oil changes has just started over the last few years and I suspect it has something to do with selling more oil. Up until about 10 years ago I ran Airshell aircraft oil, then I changed to synthetic. Mobil1 or Klotz straight weight depending on the bike.
Air cooled engine... about 2000 miles. Liquid cooled engine... 3-4000 miles. Using synthetic oil can double your miles between oil changes.
is this your first oil change? If so you may need to do it at 1000 miles if your bike is new or if it has spent a couple of years in the garage. (which would be a terrible waste of a GSX-R).





Otherwise 3000-4000 miles. Don't forget to adjust your chain while you have it up on the center stand. Also consider changing your fork oil, esp if you tend to ride this beast on one wheel ;-)





~triumph tiger rider
On my Yamaha FZ6 I use Amsoil Synthetic Motorcycle Engine Oil 10W40, I change the oil at 8000 miles and I change the oil filter every 4000 miles and just add enough oil to make up what I lost changing just the oil filter. Synthetic Oil will last longer than the filter
every 2000 - 4000 miles is the norm, even on such a squidly bike as a suzuki
if you ride it everyday, 3000 mile interval is normal. consult a suzuki dealer to know what kind of oil to use if you don't have a manual.
once a week
At 100 miles, 600 miles, 1000 miles, ...


and every 3000 miles thereafter. Use only the recommended weight, and use the correct amount (not too much!!).





Remember to wipe and oil your chain about once a week.
  • soap opera
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment