Saturday, December 26, 2009

Type of engine oil for my motorcycle?

I have a 1991 Suzuki Katana 600 and I was wondering the type of engine oil it takes? Also if my bike takes trans fluid or does the engine oil lubricate the trans.Type of engine oil for my motorcycle?
Any 4 stroke 10W40 Motorcycle Oil will work,


DO NOT use a synthetic on any older-high mileage bike, the synthetic is too thin and it will cause problems, (burning oil, or leaking)


The crankcase, clutch and transmission are all submersed in the same oil, a motorcycle oil is specially formulated to do 3 jobs, a crankcase oil, a wet clutch oil and a transmission gear oil.


IF,,, money is a problem and you can't afford to pay $8 a qt for motorcycle oil then you can use Shell Rotalla 15W40, BUT I would recommend a regular petroleum 10W40 Motorcycle OilType of engine oil for my motorcycle?
Any automotive 10w-40 or higher viscosity oil will work fine, as long as it's not ';energy conserving';. ( look on the back of the label, there should be no text in the bottom of the circle symbol) Energy conserving oil has additives that will ruin your clutch and cause it to slip. So.. yes the engine oil lubes the transmission.


I personally use Rotella T synthetic. Don't waste your money on ';MOTORCYCLE'; oil it's a total rip-off.
I would only use Suzuki approved oil from your dealer. The engine oil also lubes the trans in that model
10W30 motor oil just like what you put in your car.
anybody that says put car oil in it is a moron. it needs motorcycle oil,.. just take my word for it. use lucas or royal purple 20w50.
you can call the dealer and ask but any motorcycle oil will work.





it depends if you have a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke
Call the dealer or look in the little book that should have come with the bike. There might be a group on Yahoo groups for your bike like there is for mine where you can ask any question you want from others that have your exact model.
  • soap opera
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment