Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Can I use automotive oil or motorcycle synthetic or semi synthetic oil to hard break in my KYMCO 125ccS8 scoot?

I've been reading motoman's methods on hard breaking in technique from break-in secrets. I was just wondering, what is the difference between automotive and motorcycle oil? Because he suggested using 10w-40 automotive oil.





Also, Would be alright if I use 10w40 synthetic motorcycle oil? or semi synthetic motorcycle oil for the break-in?








thank you in advanced for your answers! :)Can I use automotive oil or motorcycle synthetic or semi synthetic oil to hard break in my KYMCO 125ccS8 scoot?
I'm a little confused as to why you would want to diverge from the mfg's recommendation as to break in procedure with a possible default of the warranty. Kymco 125 is a nice scoot and I sure would want to break it in right. Fact is, you might want to change the oil at 100 miles just to make sure you have eliminated any left over chips in the crankcase from initial start and run.





I would not go to synthetic until you have over 1k miles on it minimum.Can I use automotive oil or motorcycle synthetic or semi synthetic oil to hard break in my KYMCO 125ccS8 scoot?
I am new to motorcycles, but not new to engine break in and repair. Conventional wisdom used to be break it in with conventional, then switch to synthetic.





Ford's are comeing from the factory topped with a synthetic blend. My last new Craftsman mower came with Mobil 1 (owners manual recommeded mobil 1 if not using Sears branded oil). Victory is recommending a synthetic oil in their motorcycles.





Follow the manufacturers recommendations, they built it and should know what it needs. Would recommend a magnetic drain plug. The magnet will trap loose metal particles left from assembly. Later in the engine life it will trap metal particles alerting you to damage before it fails.





Worst case breaking in with a synthetic oil, it will take longer for the rings to seat due to less engine wear and you will need to check the oil more frequently until they do. Checking the oil regularly is a good thing! Oil Color change is another indicator of potential problems.





Less wear, longer engine life, less maintanence related issues, better fuel economy. Fewer oil changes. Where is the down side?





I am not recommending it, but some of the websites for popular synthetics say useing their oil and filter you can go twice the manufacturers mileage recommendation between oil changes. This makes their price compareable if not cheaper with labor on 2 oil changes vs 1.








2005 Victory Kingpin 33,000 miles on a bare aluminium motor and no leaks. Stage 1 (high flow exhaust and air filter, factory retune). Yes it's run hard, I scare me. Hope my wife doesn't see this!


2003 Chevy Astro 100,000+ miles runs better than new. After market high flow catalytic converter and exhaust, cleanable air filter. Takeing wannabe's in a mini van, gotta love it.


2000 Ford Focus 100,000+ runs better than new. After market cleanable air filter. Popular comment, ';It's not a V6 motor in this?!'; 28 mpg hwy (with automatic transmission and me driveing, better if wife drives).
Motorcycle oil has more additives that carry off heat. That's not an issue in most applications but is important to racers and dirt bikes.


I've mostly used synthetic auto oil in my Hondas.


Common wisdom is that you use ';dino'; (conventional non-synthetic) oil for break-in. Using the what the manufacturer specifies also prevents the dealer from cheating you on warranty work.





http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oil鈥?/a>
try a heavy duty oil from castrol


or sintetic it will work

No comments:

Post a Comment