Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What is the best oil that i can use on 2005 Harley Davidson road king classic?

Byron has the best answer I've seen posted here. Those are the oils I use in my twin cam. Too many newbies get sucked into that ';Use only HD officially licensed oil'; b.s. I've been riding Harleys close to 40 years and I don't think I've bought more than 6 quarts of that stuff the whole time.What is the best oil that i can use on 2005 Harley Davidson road king classic?
I have found the following website to be informative:


http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html


It's primarily designed for the air cooled porsche crowd, but guess what oil they use...air cooled v-twin synthetic.


Personally, I've got a 99 Buell M2 and run Mobil 1 V-Twin Syn 20/50, and a Purolator PureOne oversize oil filter with a billet slip on oil cooler (finned heat sink filter wrap).What is the best oil that i can use on 2005 Harley Davidson road king classic?
Amsoil. go to their web site for all the details and comparisons. I also prefer mobil 1 synthetics. Stay away from HD synthetic, I learned the hard way it's not up to par with these other two.
I use Syn3. I'm getting tired of forking over 60 to 70 bucks to change my own fluids and filter though. A lot of guys seem to like Mobil 1 V-twin for their engine and primary, and Mobil 1 synthetic 75/90 in their trans. I'll give that a whirl, might even save a few bucks.
i had many harleys and iremember i always used castrol both in the street bikes and the harleys we race at ascot park when it was open. i just loved to smell that castrol racing oil. that would be my choice. guess what? i use it in all my vintage cars and all my regular get around town cars that my wife and son drives. Castrol Breakfast Of chapions. I love the smell of CASTROL in the morning
Every guy I know that owns a HD are running Amsoil
royal purple m/c oil is good, or the harley synthetic is good even though its just mobile 1.
I here Amsoil is very good, I ran into a group of guys doing an iron butt run and they tell me crossing the dessert the engins were running much cooler with Amsoil and that why they stick with it. Syn3 is the lowest bidder to Harley... so I worry about that. Mobile 1 is good stuff I had 45,000 miles on the fatboy with no issues...I also would not use Syn3 in my tranny or primary after my tranny failed... I did and my o3 FLHTCI had a problem that my extended warranty refused to fix.. my Dealer did though and that's why I shop there.

No comments:

Post a Comment